Friday 4 October 2013

GUYS! WHO STOPS WHERE?

 
 
Blood of Jesus!!! I jumped up and shouted, it was like the whole earth was vibrating, my heart pounded as I reached for the bedside lamp. I zipped my hand under my bed to get my golf stick & held my anointing oil with the other hand. My eyes beamed like Redhead lights as I tried to trace the shrilling sound, suddenly it came up again & I carefully followed the sound to m...
y pillow. I shivered as I raised the pillow with the club, gave a long hiss when I realized it was my phone that had been staging a drama. I wondered how it was switched to the vibrate sound but I thanked Heavens the thriller ended without any ado. So why would my phone ring at past 1am, I thought, but was agitated when I saw 39 missed calls & massive BBM pings from just one person…my cousin!
 
 
What sort of emergency could this be? I finally reached her after a couple of trials, she sounded unstable and said her friend, Linda, is between life and death, after being beaten for over 3hrs by her boyfriend(Linda’s) she said her boyfriend immediately they arrived from his friend’s party. The battering kicked off when Linda complained about her boyfriend’s friends’ attitude of excessive smoking, drinking & flirting with ladies even in her presence. She narrated that he lurched on her with thick copper wire, dragged her to his room, shut the door and descended heavily on her, Linda could barely gain strength to stop him. My cousin wanted me to help call the police or rather forward some security numbers to help salvage the situation as she claimed he was still beating her.
 

 I didn’t know what to say, words were missing, I asked if it was the boyfriend that threw a big party for Linda on her birthday, the same guy that showered her with loads of expensive gifts, the same guy Linda claimed was going to marry her even without knowing him too well. She muttered, “yes, the same guy!” I forwarded some numbers to her as I recapped the whole birthday and the merriment scene again.

It was a Saturday evening, looking like a small get-together party, I was invited by my cousin (an under- graduate), so I decided to go with a friend to keep me company. The atmosphere was cool, there was enough to munch and quaff, rhythm serenading the atmosphere and the cake at the center waiting to be cut. Then suddenly, the main guy breezed in with his clique carrying a very big cake carton & a gift bag. It was unnecessary to introduce who he was as Linda threw herself on him, the kisses were all over.

The ladies were struck when they saw the content of the goody bag – a jewelry box, iPhone 5, an Ox-Blood Christian Louboutin 6” Platforms, the cake wasn’t left out of the luxury as the sugar craft that bore Linda’s image could only have been made by the “Cakes by Tosan” of this world. The ladies didn’t stop screaming and adoring the lavish gifts, I bet most of them were green with envy. Even my friend couldn’t help but ask the guy’s job occupation as the gift package totaled to over 500k.

I thought the show off had ended; little did I know more was yet to come, Linda craved her guests’ indulgence to join the party in an hour & elegantly waltzed to a swanky car with the man of her dreams. I was still trying to find my feet when a petite lady announced that the party has been moved to a popular club in Ikeja (name withheld). Apparently, Linda’s boyfriend moved the party.

At this point, my friend really got cranky (probably because he’s an accountant with a medium size company & understands the figures incurred), but I begged him to come along to see all the drama. It was a long convoy, with so much buzz on the highway. Trust me, it was a night of fun, we all wished the party wouldn’t end. To be fair, I’m sure that guy would have spent at least 900k on Linda’s birthday party that day and she was in high spirits. It will only amaze you how guys spend money with no strains, different strokes for different folks, hard times don’t determine spending habits of some men.

My friend and I left that party with different opinions, he felt Linda boyfriend didn’t work for the money and was just a hoaxer or Yahoo boy (according to the Nigerian parlance) considering his age & disposition. I bet most ladies in attendance would have craved for such and put their lovers under so much pressure, but I feel indifferent in all.

Here is my worry; Linda eventually left that relationship with some permanent scars, just after a week we witnessed all the merriment that her peers envied. My question is: Why do some guys deceive ladies with gifts and money just to maltreat them? Are some ladies so incredulous that they get swayed by money and material things at the snap of a finger? How well do ladies know a guy before deciding to go on a date with him or walking down the aisle? These are questions screaming for attention on my mind……

Itz Bellz....
 

2 comments: