Wednesday 31 July 2013

I RAN 2



Last time on I RAN, I stopped at the point when my pop insisted we go to my school together to pick my report sheet and I composed a runaway letter…now seat back as I unfold the rest of the story
.
I couldn’t sleep that night; my eyes were wide opened, and my heart beating to every second that ticked.  My mind was flooded with different thoughts.   I looked at the naive sleeping faces of my siblings who had no inkling of what I was up to.  This room is our haven where we initiated our bond hence it’s sacred.
For a moment, I thought about confiding in my elder sister whom I felt should have a better understanding and advise me accordingly, but then I remembered how edgy she could be, she’s an alarmist, and would publicize the news like a native town crier even at the dead of the night.  I heaved a heavy sigh, God was the last option, I prayed fervently and recited all the verses I knew for a miracle but I guess my faith wasn’t strong enough as I assumed my prayers would prove abortive and eventually the worst thoughts came.

When the day broke, pop came to our room to wake me up and reminded me of our outing, I heard him but pretended to be asleep. I dawdled to the bathroom, the sponge was rather heavy and the water suddenly felt like melting ice, it was so sad on me that I wasn’t just deceiving my folks but also myself. I wish the drama could end with just a smash of my head on the walls…nah, I wasn’t considering suicide.  Ola!! Jade ooooo!!! (Ola come out of the bathroom) pop screamed, apparently I had spent longer time in there, I picked up my towel and hopped out within the split of a second.

The dinning was set, I joined dad for a fast breakfast, I wasn’t hungry, it took a lot of shout from mum for me to put some slices of bread through my throat, I wasn’t just in for this. Then the bell struck, my brother reached for the door and it was Mrs. Kasunmu crying uncontrollably with blood dripping from her forehead and ankle.  I wasn’t really surprised though, she has always suffered battering from her irresponsible husband, the drunken husband bonces on his wife each time she complained about his negligence. Her experience prompted me to shun alcohol but trust me, that’s a herculean task in this time. 

Mum rushed to Mrs. Kasunmu and consoled her, while she narrated the events that led to the lashing; Mrs.  Shobowale  finally resolved to leave the marriage within 24hrs. My mum was infuriated and couldn’t help hurling insults at the absent husband. Pop being the wise man he is reassured Mrs. Shobowale  he would take charge of the situation. My Dad isn’t just the estate chairman but also the peace maker, we’ve always advised him to extend his selfless services to political quarters.

Pop asked me to wait for him as they all went (mum inclusive) while my brothers and sister were ready for their summer classes, I gladly shut the door as the last feet stepped out.
Now it’s Ola’s world, then I needed to plan my move well.  Yes! Izu Edet came to mind, he was a friend in school who always boasted about his wealthy father. He was one of those who claimed to have a street in London, lived in a Nigerian-Buckingham palace & could feed an entire community. Despite his father’s acclaimed riches, Izu would go on to bring the most admired game, Game Boy, to school for rentals. He charged N5 per 30minutes, and he gained the respect he wanted.  So I decided to leave for Izu’s house (which I have never been to before) but not until I had written my runaway letter:

 “Dad and Mum, I’m sorry that I failed my promotional exams and I was advised to repeat, which I will never do. I have decided to run away and you might be lucky to meet me alive”….. Bye  – Olamide
I wrote this with tears in my eyes, I carefully pasted it with some rolls of eba on the entrance to the children’s room. I ran again to the kitchen to take some raw plantain and butter for survival and I fled. I looked back at my house after a few distance and l wandered the drama that would be staged later. I imagined how mum tearing apart when she receives the news, the furiousness and shock on dad’s face, and how the neighbors’ reaction to the news. I was bold enough to take my mind off the implications and hit the road, but then I meet the shocker of my life….. Watch out

Its  Bellz





No comments:

Post a Comment