Wednesday 31 July 2013

I RAN



Yea! Yea!  It’s been a while really, but trust me, I have been busy and each time the inspiration comes, the environment is usually not conducive enough to write.  It was children’s day, and since we were once kids, I've decided to share some remarkable memories of my childhood. This isn’t fiction; it’s real just like true-life stories…. Enjoy

Immediately I spotted Mrs. Okonkwo, my class teacher, walking in with some files, I knew my fate was around the corner. We need not be told to take a pew and comport ourselves because we apparently knew something was about to happen, not even her cane was enough to make us put our bums together.
She carefully dropped the heavy files which were followed by a moment of decorum in class. Mrs. Okonkwo warned us to listen carefully as she began the tradition of calling our names alphabetically from the attendance list and as soon as a name is mentioned, she will direct the student to check his/her name among the files.

It took almost forever for my name to be uttered, apparently there were quiet a number of students whose surnames began with the letter “A”, this aggravated my fears. I suddenly fell into a deep thought of what might happen If it was positive, I imagined how my mum would buy me the new trekkers in vogue, how I was going to flaunt the shoe on the first day of resumption to everyone especially Bolatito, who has never given me the slightest attention because of Seyi, the rich kid that has everything working for him. I snapped out of my reverie and thought about the negative; the shame of failing in class, the sore beatings from pop, the disappointment on mum’s face and all.

Bello Olamide!!! The name echoed and I got a harsh tap from Giwa, he was a violent and naughty boy, I never liked him, he formed a clique I detested and we fought each time he tried to bully me.                 Yes Ma!  I shouted, my heart pounded uncontrollably, I reached for the files and sieved through them but I couldn’t find my name. I was taking longer than every other pupil to check, Mrs. Okonkwo’s eyeballs stared at me like that of an owl, “I smell trouble,” I muttered under my breath.  She insisted I went through it again and I mustn’t dare her to check herself otherwise I would be a guinea pig for newly acquired whip. Mrs Okonkwo was a fat and very mean woman, she could be described as a despicable Nanny McPhil. I once believed she was a witch because of how she treated students without concern or sympathy.   I vouched to hit her with the car my father promised to buy for me after university but the car never came.

I checked more carefully and I found my fate within seconds, I opened it and my eyes went straight to the bottom of the page where the final comment was written, “Olamide is a very quiet boy and well behaved but advised to REPEAT SS 1.”
Even at that tender or rather immature age, I wondered why such good comment should be accompanied by a “repeat”.  I disliked Mrs. Okonkwo more… I felt like crying but I said “NO, why should I”, I knew it wasn’t over , well  I  predicted it considering my flippancy that term. I closed my judgment book, gave an impression that “all iz well”, and left the class. 

Home was a no-go area, though my folks were expecting me since the school was closing for the term and the hostel would automatically be under lock and keys.  I consulted my thinking cap and decided to visit a close friend & class/dorm mate who lived some meters away from my house.  I could tag Okon my bestie as he was a big influence on me, we spent most of the time together shooting pool and missing classes a lot of times.   My friend was also a fighter and very few people could contend with him, he was a bully but a very nice one. 

I wasn’t surprised to see Okon playing his habitual football in his compound, I knew he had failed but he never saw it as a big deal, but for me, it was beyond a deal, it was a REAL DEAL.  He bragged that he wasn’t going to repeat, he boasted he will rather change school instead… After playing football with some few friends and Okon, it was getting dark and my folks were definitely waiting to have me after some months in school, so, I begged Okon to help me keep my bad result and I went home.  On getting home, everyone had been awaiting my arrival; my mum carried me and sang some special lullabies even though it wasn’t bedtime as she did when I was a baby. She never stopped praising me in my pet name, ‘Omo-Ola’ (Child of wealth).  My mum would stop at nothing to make me happy which often got my siblings jealous. 
 
The welcome party was cut short by my dad. Pop called and asked for my position not even if I passed, it was funny no one ever imagined I could fail (I was like the efiko of the house), I lied the results haven’t been issued and would probably be ready on resumption. Apparently, my father was not comfortable with my story and insisted to visit my school (over sabi dey always worri am), I convinced him and he budged.
Shortly after a week, he said he intended getting a GCE form for me that week (he so believed in me), and he would like to sound my teacher out on this, he decided we would both go to the school to see her. Alas! At that moment I knew the bubble would be burst soon.  Then I dropped a specially composed runaway letter…


To be continued…
Its-Bellz

No comments:

Post a Comment