Wednesday 31 July 2013

THE DARKEST SIDE OF DEATH I DESPISE.....





He was energetic, full of life with high hopes and aspirations… “I wanna go to Dubai this year, finish my house in Imo state, buy another Duplex in Lekki and get the latest Range Rover… all this year”  He went to the best University, his command of words were warm and drew so much attention, his take on life issues gives me so much inspiration and motivation.

“I wanna be like you”, were regular words I say to him and he will instantly reply “you are a big boy too, I want to be like you”…lol! We always spent time together unwinding, I would never forget the day of the 2013 African Nations Cup finals, we had a chat, and he had predicted a 1-0 to Nigeria’s favour while I argued a 2-1 loss, we almost had an endless squabble but then we decided to place a bet… (You don’t want to know how much).

Later that evening, we saw the match at different venues and to his favor, the match ended with 1-0 but sadly, we never got to analyze the match together…. He died the night Nigeria won. The smiles were all gone, his face I won’t see again, his baritone voice would never beat my ear drums again, and his knocks would cease on my door.

Death, the inevitable, that I totally concur, but here is my plight, how could all he had in him (talent, creativity, physical abilities, etc.) just crash like that?  My friend should have at least been able to pass on his eagle-eyed sight to his 15-year old son, whom has been struggling with his vision almost all his life, sleeping and waking up in heavy lenses. Maybe his brother’s years of confinement to the wheel chair would have been over if he could get a limb transplant from him, my friend. 

My friend left like a dust in the wind, nothing to transfer to the mortal. If Chinua Achebe could unfortunately die with all his creativity & artistic imagery without having someone to keep running his brain box, if the Fela we all celebrate for his controversial music and activism could exit without willing his creative strengths to his mentees, and of course if the great humanitarian activist Gani Fawehinmi could depart with all his wisdom, crusading and optimism then how much more my friend…Udeme! Only if…
I bet God knows what I’m talking about and I’m sure you might have thought the same?  
         
 Ola-Bellz

No comments:

Post a Comment